As much as we want to protect our kids, we cannot spend 24/7 with them because we have other responsibilities to attend to. One of the utmost concerns of every parent is to ensure that their child is safe even they are not under their watchful eyes. Parents can teach their kids about safety and security measures whenever they are not with you. Teach your kids the following:
- Take a walk outside your neighborhood and tell them whose house they are allowed to visit even without you.
- Instill in your child’s mind that it is okay to say NO if it makes them feel uncomfortable, confused or scared; tell your child to inform you about anything or anyone who makes them feel this way.
- Teach your kids the importance of asking permission before they leave home, whether they will go and play on park or school playground equipment or they will just take a walk.
- Make sure that you remind your kids that it is not safe to walk or play alone outside; they should ask someone to go with them.
- Instruct your kids not to approach any vehicle whether or not it is occupied; unless they know the owner of the vehicle or they are accompanied by trusted adult.